PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 412
Thread: Bell 412
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 22:57
Avnx EO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard 'em called "super EPs" before... but I like it. There was actually one on display at Heli-expo 2003 in Dallas and they called it the "412 ASAR" (advanced search and rescue). This was a 412EP with PT6T-9 "FADEC" engines (Actually P&WC prefer the term EEC) and a 4-display glass cockpit (an earlier version of the glass cockpit system Bell just certified in the model 429.) There are even pictures of the 412 ASAR posted in this forum if you dig through the "views from the cockpit" thread.

The only 412 ASARs ever made went to the Saudis and Turks as part of a Bell-Agusta cooperative effort (like the BA-609 and the original AB-139) It was supposed to be the start of the "412+" which would eventually have an upgraded rotor and transmission as well, but like so many "promised" 412 improvements since the early 90s.. this too died on the vine.

People have said there was no real interest in the improvements. I don't know... The 'T-9 gives better hot and high and better OEI, but that extra power means slightly greater SFC - so Ur gonna burn a bit more gas day-to-day for the sake of that power margin.... But then there's the benefit of a FADEC engine, less chance of hot starts, better control, glass presentation, automatic power assurance, exceedance recording,etc. I'd ask you...Is it worth it?

Personally, I can't imagine operating without a FADEC (or equivalent) any more.