PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 22:39
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember them going up against EZY on AMS twice daily from Belfast and they got roasted. I remember thinking how can belfast sustain both of them on this route.
EI-RB; you are correct BFS AMS was a disaster, but I dont think that it was that EZY gave them a run for their money. EZY had a big drop in their daily loads as well. Not especially fair to compare BFS experience to LGW. BFS is a very small market and routes like AMS could never sustain 3 daily flights (2 EI 1 EZY as it was). The EI early departure (I think it was 0610 at the start often had as few as 30 Pax!). The experience at LGW is a very different one. There is a big pot of passengers and over capacity and Aer Lingus couldnt capture an appropriate slice of the market at an acceptable price. In BFS the cake is very small outside of the UK and Sunshine routes. All UK routes ex BFS are over subscribed and LHR is only because EI are protected by the luxury of no direct competition on this route (ie BFS/LHR, unless BA come back- unlikely). EI are well positioned on the sun routes ex BFS and they did quite well in Summer 09 on same. More of that to come this year.

How many legacy or flag carriers have successfully established bases outside of their own jurisdiction using their own brand ??
Have to agree on this one, though the opportunity to move to other markets has only been around since deregulation of the market and since that time the loco's have put paid to any notion of the flag carriers making bases in other countries. I mentioned earlier Air Berlin has had success in places like Palma (but not a flag carrier of course).

Somebody mentioned earlier that EI should look at doing contract work ACMI? Airlines like Aer Arann have done this with some success.
Also charter work. EI used to do most of the Budget Travel charter work and many over night flights. I imagine if they could do the same now since Budget are gone (with other co's), it would allow them to increase utility of the aircraft, save some jobs, only even if it was to cover costs and in turn reduce the unit costs of the airbus fleet, ie the cost of each seat mile decreases if this is significantly increased. Airlines like Monarch have boasted in the past that their high utility gives them a good cost base. Not sure how relevant that is in this instance.

EI-BUD