PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 21:34
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me if this seems either inappropriate or simplistic, in my defence I held Mike Blee (of earlier accident) in quite high regard....
it seems to me that you shouldn't make an aircraft colour difficult to spot in everyday use, as ultimately we rely on seeing each other to avoid collision (when all else fails). To construct aircraft from materials that dictate we then produce them in what is effectively a 'low vis' colour scheme is madness - either we have to solve the 'can only paint them white' issue, or we have to begin to accept that they cannot be made from the material we'd prefer, because the finsihed article is too hard to see.

Also, an escape mechanism that is at all difficult or complex, especially one that is taking up first time air cadets, simply has to be re-examined, as I'm not current on the aircraft in question I'll leave it at that. (I'll admit that the Chipmunk escape drills I did in 1968 probably exceeded my ability to carry them out...to be honest I was a titchy sort of air cadet and would probably have fallen through the straps anyhow).

Dave