PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 9th Jan 2010, 19:28
burty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the other hand, I'm only too happy to build a circuit in the "box" for a late arrival into Hobart, as my faith in LNAV/VNAV at that time of night is a lot stronger than faith in my own ability to fly a safe and tidy circuit when I'm struggling to keep my eyes open due to fatigue.
Fair enough too, it's just a shame that operators finds it acceptable to roster you in such a way that crew end up having to rely on the automatics at the end of a shift (domestic?) because they're so tired. Still, nothing new.

Why then is the Autopilot and the Autothrottle INCLUDED in the dispatch deviation guide. We are allowed to dispatch an aircraft (B737 NG), although with some limitations, without these systems which many, now days, find to be such critical systems. Maybe the way things are going, We won't be able to dispatch without these systems.
It's assumed that you have the required skills to operate sans autopilot/autothrottle no?, that was part of your training and checking? How would your op's react should you decline to dispatch in a 737 with the autopilot written up?

Hand flying skills are an important part of any crew members repertoire, for a variety of reasons, and a deliberate attempt needs to be made to maintain them.

Edited for clarity

Last edited by burty; 9th Jan 2010 at 20:28.