PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 15:30
42psi

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts
Folks ... I don't think de-icing stocks play any part in decisions on diversions.

If the runway/taxiways are open you can accept diversions - if they're not you can't.

Diversions use the same taxiways & runway as the planned movements.

You don't use more or less de-icing fluid - you use what's needed to ensure the surface is clear & servicable.

The number of movements is actually irrelevent - although personally I think more movements is better ..... all that engine heat must help surely....

ps .... I'm afraid much of the rumors about running out of de-icing stocks seem to come about from adding 2 +2 and getting 6 and 7/8.....

Someone asks someone where the de-ice rig has gone and is told it's run out ... rumor starts ....

Had they been told ... it's used up all it's 12,000 litres and gone off to re-fill they may not have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

That's not to say stocks may get low at times, but as with anything you need regular supplies if your using a lot.

Same story with the granules ... "run out" usually means more are needed to be brought airside from stores and the time consuming job of going around filling all the yellow bins done - guess what the volunteer firemen were doing yesterday .... thanks guys

That's not to say that stocks may not get low or that the world stays happy if supppliers suddenly start running short or have delivery problems.

Seems to be a peculiarly British trait to want to hear how it's all going wrong.

God luck .. and lets hope it's still all smiles on Monday

Last edited by 42psi; 9th Jan 2010 at 15:42.