PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Formal risk assessment methods?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 10:15
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea of flying to the higher standards of the professional world if practical, but I do not think it is very practical.
Why don't you think its pratical? There is nothing magical in the way we operate commercially. In fact in someways because you don't have commercial pressures a private has a lower risk.

If the wx is legal I am expected to go or have a very good reason not to. Private can just say sod that for a lark and go to the pub.

The biggest risk is your own experence. The most risky bit of the whole package is you the pilot and your planning and choices in flight. Yes some commercial pilots have out of cockpit checklists for particular jobs.

If your flying a route you don't bother with anything extra you check the wx find out the pax numbers, check the log accept it, load your fuel, do your M&B and performance and bugger off.

A charter some people use a checklist

Flight plans in, catering, handling, airport openings times, fuel availabilty, who's the crew, duty time limits for crew, pax contact numbers,broker contact numbers, prefered divert options and then into the stuff you would do for a normal schedual route.

As you can see not much spent on the actual flying the machine its all in the planning. Only about 10% of my job as a commercial Captain is anything to do with poling the aircraft around the sky. 90% of it spent on arse covering and the point when you get the gear up is the point when you can start enjoying your job without the multitude of potential cockups mugging you with out any warning. An engine shut down followed by single engine approach is far less stressful than dealing with some dozy bitch of a ramp cop thats got it into her head that you have transgressed some very important rule which is meant to be universal but you have never heard of in any other airport in the UK and there is no documentaion for. If you want to experence this fly to Norwich and see what I mean.