PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loving life in Dubai!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 07:10
Voodoo 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In short - Yes!

As Lloyd Grossman on 'Through the Keyhole' would say - Let's look at the evidence.

Money. Don't pay any sort of tax, except for SALIK I suppose so that immediately makes me 40% better off.

Accommodation. Company gives me an allowance to cover my accommodation costs. Therefore I have no mortgage to pay.

Fuel. Can fill up the car for about £13 as opposed to nearly £60 in the UK.

Car. Due to much lower costs I could upgrade from a small German car back home to a bigger, louder, more prestige German brand.

Work. Fly a lovely little jet around three times a week with some great colleagues for good money.

Weather. Alright the sun all year does get a bit annoying but it's great at the moment. The summer is oppressive and you can't go out but then again you can't go out in the UK during winter as it's so sodding cold. -20C anyone?

Social. Made friends with some great people and you know you can go out any night as the weather will be fine. Spend lots of time on the beach, marina beach clubs. EPC gives you up to 50% off in some bars/ shops etc.

Costs. Many things are on a par with the UK but there are many bargains to be had if you wait for the sales.

Of course there are some drawbacks as have been mentioned by previous posters. Driving is erratic, no real complaints procedures etc.

On the balance we do enjoy life here. Compared to going back to the UK then certainly for the moment it is a no-no and I suppose will remain so until either life in the UK picks up (it'll have to be a lot) or things here go down.

My two cents or should that be my five fils!!

V3