PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 22:35
WojtekSz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFLY
Once again I'd be very interested to know what prevented the PF to revert to best glide speed earlier, at least once flaps 25 were selected. The fact that manual speed control was only initiated when the stick-shaker got activated looks like a passive and not an active decision. Why? Retracting flaps was one thing but speed monitoring and control should have remained the priority. What interfered?
i do not like to repeat myself but pls see my post #2743 and mmm's explanation:
the reason to act manual ONLY AFTER the stick shaker was activated was to fly level as long as was safely possible to get closer to the airport area. Flying low angle approach and faced with double engine failure one have two options:
  • fly quicker and land shorter - possibly long way before the runway and in this case higher speed would mean more fatalities
  • try to fly as level as possible untill the last moment (stall alarm) and only then go for speed just enough to flare before touch down
which method would get you closer to the airport flat grounds?
would you rather hard-land inside or outside of the airport perimeter? in case of fire what would be the time to get help from airport firemen in both these cases?

seems to be a no brainer to me - but what do i know