PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 19:49
CaptainJim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lessons to be learned

Its a vicious cycle but what can you do when despite poor T & Cs and no guarantees people still line up outside flightschools thinking they will be different.

I remember during my modular ATPL groundschool the crap people used to talk about what jobs they could get after receiving their expensive shiny blue license with 200hrs TT. I went to the states & saved a few euros and got an FAA instructor rating which got me hundreds of hours ME time. Then I did the JAA conversions in america & spain for peanuts compared to the UK.

The only guys I knew who got jobs paid for a type with the lowcost carriers or got screwed on a bond. I can't believe anyone could be so stupid as to pay for a type with a random TRTO with no line training included but I heard a few guys I knew who did it.

I understand why people sign rediculous contracts like the new CTC/Easyjet scam its because they have no choice after all the money they have already invested.

I myself paid a similar lowcost airline for a 737 type rating over 2 years ago and it worked out. I am coming up to command now but I fear I too will be replaced in the not too distant future by desperate wannabes. I like flying but I would rather put my efforts to better use if I can't even make 6 figures (euros) as a skipper.

Don't give up if you want to be a pilot just beaware of the risks and don't let some stupid salesperson convince you otherwise. Remember its just a job at the end of the day.

I must admit flying is the worst part of my job because its not real flying. Its button pushing, checklists, paperwork, neverending memos, delays, the fear of ending up in the chief pilot's office and lots & lots of commuting. I fly twice a year & thats in a sim. However when I see my paycheck at the end of the month & when I consider the time off I have its worth it but I'm not sure it will last.