PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jockey to sue wife of Pilot
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2002, 13:00
Steepclimb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suing

A fair few tabloidian emotive responses on this thread. Some of you are a little naive. You should get out more.
Don't make the mistake of thinking this is personal. It is merely, as one or two have already pointed out a legal point. Like most of these cases it's the insurance companies and lawyers in a impersonal dance.
I've heard of situations where a son/daughter sues the Father or Mother and other close relatives, but don't imagine there's a frosty athmosphere in the family home. No doubt they all go out together to celebrate whatever was awarded.
I've read elswhere that Ray Cochrane is also suing Godolphin, for whom Dettori has most of his rides. For those of you no au fait with the ins and out of the racing industry. Godolphin is racing arm of the rulers of Dubai, very deep pockets indeed.

I too used to decry the compensation culture that has grown up, particularly in relation to car accidents and other accidents. I used to think like that too until I gained some experience of how insurance companies work. I lay the blame fairly and squarely on them. Two situations with my Mother for example, where we were forced into legal redress by the attitude of the insurance companies. In my own case where my car was written off when rearended by a dimwit in the ubiquitious white Transit van, he came up with a pack of obvious lies and the insurance company was fully prepared to go to court rather than pay the £300 in dispute. Of course cynically they knew no solicitor would even answer the phone for that kind of money. In the end the solicitor I consulted tried to stiff me with £200 bill. I sent her the expenses and told her to sing for the rest.

I've learned my lesson on that one, both insurance companies and lawyers like the way things are right now because ultimately we pay for all the claims made. They still make nice profits.
Next time someone hits me or my car. I know what to do. I can aready feel the pain in my neck and back
But then I think of all that lovely money coming my way soon