PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Employment Statistics
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 16:11
IrishJetdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting video. It states the truth about paying for line training. If you look back 18 months or so it also states what was actually the bleedin' obvious to anyone who cared to pay attention to the way the market was going.

I do object however to Ryanair being mentioned at the end as although they almost undoubtedly were the first major carrier to require one to self sponsor, they certainy don't do line training deals, the TR has a solid job attached to it and so far i've not met any FO flying less then 700hrs per year.

It's a tough world for wannabe's for sure, but the writing was on the wall a long time ago and if you recently qualified from an integrated course then you ignored all the signs before you started.

I've said it, others have said it, don't pay for line training. It will get you absolutely nowhere at the moment and if there was a general need for pilots then these schemes wouldn't exist as they do now. The knock-on effect is that people who had jobs through graft, tenacity and ability are losing them so that the pay to fly pilot can have the seat. Temporarily of course.

It took me 2yrs to get my first job and I don't know how much was to luck or timing, tenacity or ability. A dollop of each I imagine. While I waited I returned to my old office job and paid the bills. I didn't have any loans for flying as I was able to do the self improver route but I did have a mortgage and wife and daughter to support.

Most people seem to be so young and so desperate. Get some life experience doing something else that pays. You've got years and years ahead of you to fly, and i'm sure for many it will happen in the end. Be patient, batten down the hatches and don't subscribe to a system that clearly will not only not get you anywhere but also destroys other people's lives.