PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muscat Muscateers
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 15:58
ATCO1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verc,

While I appreciate the traffic levels that our brethren in Bulgaria may move, it's still apples and oranges. Without researching it, I'm going to presume that they are surrounded, in the main, by radar units, with direct lines, serviceable radio/radar equipment, reasonable sector sizes and headsets (this is a sore point) that are useable and allow proper training.

We have, I would suggest, similar traffic loadings (our statisticians tell me it's over 1,000 area movements a day over three sectors) and have to move the bulk of that traffic into non-radar enviroments. The only unit, as I have alluded to in previous posts, that we deal with where we can use radar handoffs is UAE. Couple with that constant radio problems and other issues and we have quite a handful, as you know. We still get up to 30 aircraft at a time in a sector, far more than can/should be reasonably handled. Safe, it may not be completely, but we play with the cards we are dealt with and I am impressed at how our lads and lasses have managed to keep up with the increase in traffic.

I hope, though, that anyone coming here is not so foolish as to presume that, by weight of traffic moved "back home" that you'll make it easily here. It is still a challenging ATC environment.

We look forward to more troops.