PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC VC10 Flapless landing 1970
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 13:11
Brit312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the very early days of VC-10 operation I believe they had problems with the flap assymetric sensing system which could lock the flaps out . I say this as when I became a F/E on them in 1968 there was a proceedure if I remember correctly that allowed you, by tripping CBs, to try and reset the safety system. If you had no choice there was a proceedure where the the flaps could be inched down , but it was very much a proceedure to be used if there were no other options which included flapless landing

I have heard of the hose pipe as a vacuum cleaner too, but I must have flown with tidy crews so we never needed one. I do believe it was genuine though

Nairobi to London was well within the range of the VC-10 but at that time BOAC on African and Far East routes for commercial reasons would call in at on route cities.

I do not think the "whiffle Tree" had anything to do with the VC-10 being a
T-Tail aircraft. It was to do with the hydraulic feel unit which allowed due to the whiffle tree for the pilot to have the same feel with two hydraulic systems as with.

A great aircraft and would love to do a trip on one again, but there I also believe in Father Christmas