PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 09:27
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korrol - your points:

This report seems to have plenty of detailed technical information but very little information on the action and intentions of those involved.

The "actions and intentions of those involved" were exactly that same as the actions and intentions of the pilots in any AEF flight; namely to pass on their knowledge of, and their enthusiasm for, flying to the air cadets.

We're not told, for examp[le, how many cadets turned up at UWAS for these flights - but that two were randomly selected. The odds of randomly selecting two cousins must be pretty long.

Why do you need to know how many turned up at UWAS. You obviously have no idea how the AEF system works. Flying slots are allocated to ATC Wing HQs. The Wing HQs detail squadrons to attend for flying. The squadrons bring the allocated number of cadets to the AEF, where they are briefed and prepared for their flights. The AEF programmes all of the cadets to fly and flies them. They are not "randomly selected" from a cast of thousands, but if an ATC squadron happens to have cadets related to each other (highly likely and pretty common) the odds of them coming flying on the same day are pretty good. A fair few of our squadrons have sets of brothers and/or sisters, and they pretty much always come flying on the same day.

Both girls were issued with parachutes - but did they know, or were they told, how to use them?

The cadets are shown a safety film and they are also briefed on the use of the parachute. Incidentally, they are not "issued with" the parachutes, they are correctly fitted with them.

The two girls aged 13 and 14 had never flown in the Tutor - or indeed any - aircraft before. However both were put in the left hand seat. Was this with a view that they should handle the controls at some point? If so, was one - or perhaps both - of them actually flying their respective aircraft at the time of impact.?
If one or other was flying - was their instructor's attention focussed on them rather than watching where the aircraft was going?
The topic of the left hand seat occupation is covered above. It is the passenger seat and all passengers occupy the left hand seat. Nobody knows or will ever know if the cadets were flying the aircraft at the time.

I don't know about you and your own particular level of skills, but I can walk and chew gum at the same time, and I can monitor the cadet's actions and still manage to keep a good and thorough look out for other aircraft, maybe even a better look out than when I am actually demonstrating and teaching a particular point to a cadet.

The RAF Inquiry should have interviewed other cadets who have been taken up on similar flights to ascertain how these air-experience flights are actually conducted in practice.

There are 12 AEFs in the country, each of which is staffed by experienced and highly professional pilots. These AEFs have been operating safely and successfully for a VERY long time and, as has been said, the "system" knows EXACTLY how each AEF flight is actually conducted in practice.

I have no idea what your agenda is with these questions, but you obviously think that AEFs are operated by gash people in a gash manner with no regard for the safety of the cadets. Nothing could be further from the truth. We all know precisely what our responsibilities are for looking after the cadets whose parents entrust them into our care, and we do our level best to ensure that safety.

I don't know just how long you have been involved with aviation, but everybody who has been in the aviation world for more than 5 minutes knows that accidents happen and that a lot of these accidents are indeed just random events that are immensely difficult to prevent. The fact is that the Tutor is very difficult to see. We know that and are, therefore, particularly diligent about looking for the "other aircraft" that may not see us.