PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tutor Mid-air report.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2010, 20:59
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midair collision happens because neither pilot saw the other in time to take
evasive action. There are a lot of contributing factors involved here, not just the white colour of the Tutor.

1) Some witnesses mention that one of the aircraft performed a wingover shortly before the collision. Does this imply showing off? with insufficient lookout before performing maneuvers?

2) The structure of the Tutor canopy certainly offers an obstruction to the view. This requires an even more careful scan, many aircraft suffer from airframe blocking the view.

3) One of the pilots was wearing corrective lenses. I don't see mentioned if these were varifocals or not, varifocals screw up your peripheral vision.

4) I cannot imagine that wearing a bonedome improves your field of view or makes it easier to look around.

5) Should it not be part of the PIC's training to practice actually jettisoning a canopy -preferably on soft grass.

6) Taking off together in close formation is a very military sort of thing to do, is the usual thing to carry on then flying near each other? Without a plan, or a qualified observer in radio contact with the other aircraft, this was asking for trouble. Formation flying, or ariel photography require special care. Flying kids around requires even greater care.

I suggest that if the military are responsible for flying kids around, that they do not takeoff together, that at least 10 minutes should space their departures, that the sortie be plannned to be separate, to different areas, the flights to be planned and the plan followed.