PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jersey Flying
Thread: Jersey Flying
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2002, 06:46
Charlie Foxtrot India

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Happy memories

I did all my training (except CPL) in Jersey and worked as an instructor in Jersey and Alderney before coming to the wide brown land ten years ago...it's wonderful place to live and fly, and the beer is cheap when you get back. The "round the island" is actually about half an hour all up, and was the normal route for the half-hour trial lesson. On a day with good vis the Channel Islands are spectacular to fly around, but beware of the sea fogs! A trip to Dinard for lunch is worthwhile, (especially when the student pays ) or along the Normandy landing beaches.
As already mentioned, you need good vis to be able to steer well clear of prohibited areas on the Cherbourg peninsula if you are a bit unfamiliar with the area. Be ready for enormous circuits and getting held over Corbiere lighthouse for a while (my record was 35 minutes) or Noirmont Point.
The folks at the club will look after you, the aeroplanes were in good nick when I was there, and they'd have been well looked after since. G-BOXB was my baby.

*getting homesick*