PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2010, 11:21
eddy47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Fairr

Hi John,

I have been introduced to this site by Angus Mansfield. Roy Hussey was my uncle and I am in the process of putting to gether a book dealing with the war experiencies of most of my uncles and mother and father.

Roy Hussey features quite strongly, as there is fair amount of material about him. I have his log book, many photographs and and some original corespondence, including a letter from Tom Hughes' mother.

His log book records the patrol of the 20th December thus:

Patrol base 1hr 5 mins intercepted 15 (109 Gs Fs Es) Robbie shot down. Wounded but OK.

On page 107 of Fighters over Tunisia by Christopher Shores, Roy is phtographed standing next to a 109 that he is credited with having shot down on the 20th. This seems unlikely as although Roy never records any of his decorations or promotions in his log book (just those of his collegues) he does seem meticulus in recording air victories. None are recorded for either of the 2 patrols on the 2oth but a damged and probable (later cert) are recorded on the 21st.

After some 450 hours of combat flying - all with 72 squadron - Roy was posted back to the uk doing some testing fro Vickers and airgunnery instruction. In October 1944 he was posted to 19 squadron flying MkIII Mustangs giving hiogh cover to bombers over Germany. On the 20th February 1945, while visting NZ Beaufighter squadron 489 at Dalhachy aifield for tea and a chat. He spun in on landing and was killed.

Eddy