PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Food for thought: Amazon Kindle DX for pilots
Old 7th Jan 2010, 06:37
casio man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tipping Point

E-readers are about to be the next big thing, IMHO. It has been around for awhile, but till now, the technology was still in the refinement process.

Perhaps something like "Plastic Logic Reader" an e-reader which screen is made from plastic, that will offer robust flightdeck usage would be the future direction in terms of screen technology.

It seems that other manufactures are also joining in, Samsung and HP for instance has made some announcements recently on their own versions of e-readers. I expect the price for the hardware to decrease and that will bring more new adopters into the game. This would in turn increase and ease the availability of the reading material.

And I would definitely use this for inflight manual 'discussions' while at the same time, it will be great company during the layovers. My company issues CD updates of the manuals every month in PDF format, so it will mean some copy pasting is required. While it is available on the EFB onboard, the ability to jot down notes or draw explaination diagrams on the e-reader would be great.

Looking forward to it!