PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2010, 05:55
Whippersnapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have twice had First Officers on the 800 float badly and not react, even after shouting at them repeatedly to go around - they just froze. On both occasions I had to take control, fire-walling the thrust levers because we were going to touch down half way or further down the runway. On both occasions I made runway contact while the engines were half way through spooling up from idle, but both were safe go-rounds. Both would have been accidents if the landings had been continued.

I have never been trained on an aeroplane or simulator to deal with a baulked landing, and have never met another pilot who has been. The general philosophy on the line seems to be that once you have called "Land" at DH, that you are "in". This becomes almost a psychological committal. One airline I flew for saw the problem and changed the DH calls from "Land/Go around" to "Continue/Go around", which may help with the problem, but they gadn't instigated baulked landing training by the time I left.

There needs to be a training programme to deal with deep landings/float, with emphasis made that if you are not going to land within the touch down carpet, you MUST go around. Sim training is also required, and maybe that "Continue" call, as silly as it seemed at the time of introduction, is not such a bad idea.