View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2010, 00:13
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo;
Blame is not my game, but lessons are.
As always, mine too. So here goes an attempt:

Flight Safety;

Out of respect for the process, I don't wish to get into a pointing-to-the-crew discussion here because we don't know enough about the Kingston accident yet.

That said, you are correct regarding some differences. 1420 did not land long and crosswind was a factor. For 1420, the spoilers were not armed and did not deploy, therefore normal deceleration through the available (normal) braking system was not available.

From the comments available on AA331, the braking, spoiler and reverse systems functioned as designed/intended. Crosswind was not a factor. We can speculate but have no statements on the tailwind experienced by AA331.

From what is known thus far, the decisions regarding weather however, may offer some similarities. Statements in the AA1420 NTSB Report indicate that the approach was continued when, collectively, factors were pointing towards a go-around. While visibility was substantially better at Kingston, it wasn't VMC and rain was indicated as "heavy". Examination of the decision to use 12 vice 30 has not been released to the public so we don't know these details nor do we know the reasons for the 4100ft float.

As has been pointed out here, a late go-around is possible and is part of the CATIII certification providing the engines have not been reduced towards idle for the landing. As the document from Transport Canada states, once a "low-energy state" has been entered, any attempt at a go-around is a high risk, undemonstrated manoeuvre.

We do not know yet whether a go-around from the runway, (before the selection of reverse and with N1's not yet at idle) was possible and indeed, this belongs wholly in the area of uninformed speculation.

Some differences, some similiarities. We know that AA1420 got high on the approach; we do not know if AA331 "got high" or whether the distance covered in the air was just above the runway in a long float or still in a slight descent, the threshold having been crossed somewhat above 50ft - none of this we know.

I hope this clarifies a number of points, Flight Safety. If there is further, we should discuss it for the lessons, as you say.

PJ2