PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good and Bad Habits during Flying Training
Old 6th Jan 2010, 23:16
Aerohooligan

Location: Somewhere that looks a lot better when I close my eyes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologise if I reiterate anything anyone has already said, but I've found a few out during my short aviation career (550tt, 430com):

Work out and nail your rotate, climb, approach and landing speeds. It will result in much smoother takeoffs, landings and improved performance on climb.

Don't be a throttle-basher. Very smooth application and reduction of power, in anticipation of flying something bigger with a less forgiving engine(s) later on.

Footwork - it may not be second nature right now, but I've noticed passengers appreciate it very much when you can keep the ball close to the middle at all times.

Paperwork - part of your job is to fill out copious amounts of paperwork. Make sure you do so in blue or black pen, write neatly and make notes to clear up any ambiguities. Sounds silly but there's nothing more frustrating than a pax manifest filled out in pencil for example - it's inadmissible as a legal document should CASA come knocking.

Presentation - yourself and your aircraft. Always have your uniform (or whatever you wear flying) clean, ironed and not smelling rank. Same goes for you - make sure to shower and deodorise. Always, always, always clean your aircraft before and after each flight: windscreen polished, oil stains wiped off cowling, bugs cleaned off wherever possible, seatbelts dressed etc.

Always be willing to learn from the mistakes and experience of others. This does not mean to say that just because X has 1300 hours they are always right and you should take everything they say as gospel - but never be afraid to admit you were wrong or ignorant and take the time to look it up and learn from the experience. Just do make sure before you start doing anything on the recommendation of others you look up the documents to determine its legality and safety then if it works for you, go for it.

Some people are saying verbalise all your checks, others say no. I say do it. Not forever, but until they are that well internalised that you can run through the checklist accurately from memory then check off against the hardcopy in your kit. I verbalise about once a week to jog my memory and make sure I'm not missing anything, the rest of the time it's done in my head.

And one last thing I learnt the hard way - don't be vulnerable to getting riled up. Stuff happens that will mess up your day, be it ATC giving you a ****ty clearance, weather screwing up your day by forcing you down low or passengers throwing up everywhere (yeah, it happens!). The thing you need to remember is that you can't really control any of this and remain cool, calm and professional. I don't know you to know your temperament, but it's a lesson I learnt anyway.

These habits are certainly more applicable in a charter environment, but I think if you start to think about and implement some or all of these on both your dual and solo nav exes it will serve you well in future. However, I am not by any means the most knowledgeable expert.

Best of luck with the rest of your training!