PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA to Flexwing microlight
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 18:58
Mad Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The controls of a flexwing are completely opposite to a conventional aeroplane, and I found it nearly impossible to maintain control for more than a minute or two. It felt like trying to ride a bicycle with legs and arms crossed.
Could we be careful with wording please..

As I understand it... A weightshift microlight (Big flying kite with a pod underneath and open to the elements!) will be opposite control movement to spam can flying. i.e. push the bar forwards for take off.

I believe that the term "flex wing" microlight refers to the newer microlights i.e. C42. Two seater lightweight baby aeroplane but closed cockpit and cabin HEATERS.

I'm willing to be educated if someone else understands where these terms come from and i have it wrong?

PS - My partner fly's a weightshift microlight, and I've had a trial lesson in one once. The only problem I had was taxying on the ground. Everything else felt "right" for the type of aircraft.
I've also had a go in a C42 - central stick between the two seats, throttle between your legs () - but all controls were in the correct sense for this spam can flier.