PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA to Flexwing microlight
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 18:41
vee-tail-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only flown in(on!) a flexwing once, and it was a genuinely fantastic experience. The visibility is superb, and the feeling of being directly connected to the aeroplane and the air supporting it was unique. But 50 years of ingrained flying instinct cannot be instantly changed. The controls of a flexwing are completely opposite to a conventional aeroplane, and I found it nearly impossible to maintain control for more than a minute or two. It felt like trying to ride a bicycle with legs and arms crossed.
I really don't want to seem like a spoil sport, but please be aware of what can happen in an emergency when ingrained instinct kicks in.
There are a number of fatal accidents that have occured, when following an otherwise survivable incident the pilot moved the controls in exactly the wrong way, thus causing a dive into the ground or a steep turn and spin.
Admittedly these occured when a flexwing trained pilot converted to a conventional spam-can. But presumably the same scenario is possible going the other way. Like I say am not trying to spoil the fun, but please be aware of instinctive reactions that could kill you.