PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 18:11
Cloud Bunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, Rainboe, couldn't agree more with the post.
Just to add something to this and I'm surprised none of my colleagues have got in on this (unless they have and I missed it) but we have had the benefit of some Boeing guys flying around with us for the last few months including some guys who test the 777s. We're also looking into this and other incidents in our SIM checks this 6 monthly period. What is being preached by Boeing to us is that in this scenario there are 2 main points:
1) Leave the flaps where they are.
2) Maintain VRef, even though this means you have to drop the nose and "accelerate" towards the ground. It gives you enough energy to flare the aeroplane enough to reduce the 'hit' on the ground.

Even applying this you aint gonna make the runway and as the guys from Seattle say you have to do the best with what you're left with. Which essentially sums up to me what the guys on board did that day and in doing so managed to get the aeroplane on the ground in a state so that everyone could get off, aided in no small part by the fact that Boeings are built like tanks!!