PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA to Flexwing microlight
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 17:56
Genghis the Engineer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mazzy1026
After renewing my PPL and realising yet again, that the costs/currency are difficult to keep up with, plus the lack of victims to take, I've decided to get into flex-wing flying!

I live a few miles from Ince Blundell and will be giving them a call soon, but thought I would consult you lot first, as I haven’t done so for quite some time.

I believe I can fly a microlight on my current PPL(a) with some differences training (I’m current at the moment)
That's correct; but reckon on 6-10 hours of training, you'll have habits to unlearn!

so that’s the first port of call. The ultimate goal is to buy my own microlight (supposed I have to like the idea of flying one first). I suppose the main attraction, apart from the lower costs is the ‘air in your face’ flying and the ability to get in and out of small fields etc – more laid back approach to flying and slower stall speed etc.
All true, although a good warm flying suit and full face helmet are still good things.

I’ve looked at some performance figures and they are astonishing. I’d also relish the opportunity to own and maintain my own aircraft, with more flexibility as to where and when I can fly it.
Again all true, you really get to know your aeroplane well when you do all the maintenance, and rig and de-rig it regularly.

My main questions to you are:

1) Best place to buy a flex-wing microlight, and a good model for a not so small person (haven’t decided on a 1 or 2 seater yet)
Don't bother with single seaters, they're few and far between and tend only to be flown by people who either are into microlight competitions, deregulated aircraft, or like something obscure and historical. The vast majority of the market is 2-seaters, and there's a huge range to choose from.

Join the BMAA now - you'll need to, and for a start the back of Microlight Flying magazine is an excellent source of second hand aeroplanes. The other good source of second hand aeroplanes is AFORS, the well known website

There are few poor aeroplanes in the UK market, but in general if you go for anything with a current permit, built by Pegasus, Mainair, P&M Aviation, or Medway Microlights (and not fitted with a flash 2 or flash 2 alpha wing), and using a Rotax engine, you're unlikely to regret it. For performance, seat limits, typical empty weight and MTOW - go to the BMAA website and download the TADS for any type, which are under "tech talk". Also this book acts as a reasonable buyers guide.

4-stroke engines are more reliable and economical than older 2-stroke engines, but also heavier and more work to maintain yourself. I'd steer clear of the 532 and 508 engines which are a bit long in the tooth now, or the 447 if you'll be carrying passengers. The 503-2V is a good small 2-stroke, the 582 a good larger 2-stroke (if a little more complex due to the liquid cooling), and the 912 a stunningly good 4-stroke.

Inevitably, the newer more sophisticated aeroplanes will cost more, but you can still get a good 2-seater for £3k+ and a very good one for £10k.

2) What kind of costs I can expect
Purchase obviously. Around £400pa for maintenance and permit revalidation, around £400pa for insurance, fuel (MOGAS) and oil (about 13 litres/hr for a 503, 15 litres for a 912, 18 litres for a 582), 2-stroke engines will need 1/50th of the fuel quantity in oil, at about £10/litre. Set aside about 50% over the fuel cost for other running costs, spares, etc. and you won't be too far out.

Hangerage is whatever you end up paying; I pay £25/month plus £50pa club membership on a farmstrip, but that's on the low end, most places you'll be paying 2-3 times that.

3) Any good stories/experiences you’d like to share!
Over a beer sometime, or again join the BMAA and read Microlight Flying which is full of such stories, most of them even true!

Very best of luck, and you won't regret it.

Do get a BMAA inspector to go over any aeroplane before you buy it. The odds are that your instructor can do that for you.

G