PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA to Flexwing microlight
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 16:23
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA to Flexwing microlight

After renewing my PPL and realising yet again, that the costs/currency are difficult to keep up with, plus the lack of victims to take, I've decided to get into flex-wing flying!

I live a few miles from Ince Blundell and will be giving them a call soon, but thought I would consult you lot first, as I haven’t done so for quite some time.

I believe I can fly a microlight on my current PPL(a) with some differences training (I’m current at the moment) so that’s the first port of call. The ultimate goal is to buy my own microlight (supposed I have to like the idea of flying one first). I suppose the main attraction, apart from the lower costs is the ‘air in your face’ flying and the ability to get in and out of small fields etc – more laid back approach to flying and slower stall speed etc. I’ve looked at some performance figures and they are astonishing. I’d also relish the opportunity to own and maintain my own aircraft, with more flexibility as to where and when I can fly it.

My main questions to you are:

1) Best place to buy a flex-wing microlight, and a good model for a not so small person (haven’t decided on a 1 or 2 seater yet)
2) What kind of costs I can expect
3) Any good stories/experiences you’d like to share!

Think that’s it for now – I’ll probably visit IB on the weekend if this white stuff clears up!

Cheers

Maz