PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 10:35
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Hi Kash,
This is more general info as I did my bush flying in Australia, not Africa.

I've already mentioned getting a job (doing any thing) in town. It'll help you survive and keep you motivated. Ideally, on the airport in Ops or front of desk sort of stuff. Failing that, try the usual bar work, tourist bureau sort of stuff.
If you have any sort of spannering skills, let them know.
(I washed aeroplanes, a mate worked for the Shire council mowing the grass at the airport).

If the local pilots have a "drinking hole", find it and get yourself established. Be friendly but not pushy. (Already mentioned that

Techy stuff. If you can find out what is "useful to have". First Aid certificates, Dangerous goods certificates, bus license etc. (Now, this is relevant in Australia, need to check with the locals if that's the case.)

Ideally, time in a C206 would be great. Probably a bit late to organise. However, grab your new found friends and see if they have a POM or something like that for you to read.

For the interview, make sure you know the last type you flew. Stuff like battery (12v or 24v*), payload, gross weight, landing distance req'd (rule of thumb sort of stuff).
Eg, on a 35 deg at sea level day at MTOM I need X feet. (your POM should be able to guide you) It shows you've thought about it and any thing "under that" won't be an issue and you won't "waste" time going through the books finding an answer.
(Of course, for more complicated aircraft, you do need to check the books, however, eg, on a "good day", I only need to really go into the POM/AFM and review every thing if the runway is less than 4,000' for the Hawker. However, I do have that RoT to act as a trigger)

If it's scenics etc, know a bit about where you'll be flying and the main points of interest. If it's charter, know the main clients that the company has.

The chief pilot will be thinking to him/herself as he gets to know you.
1. Can he/she work with the team?
2. Can he/she handle the clients/passengers?
3. Can I trust him not to bend the aircraft?

Checkrides will be nerve racking and they know it. Esp if you haven't flown that type before. They are looking to see you have the basics.
Such as, ability to listen and take in instructions.
Flying accurately. If they say climb it at 80 kt, you do that.
Basic landing and cross wind techniques are sound.

*It may seem trivial but a person failed an interview on that point. The person announced that all C206s have 24 volt batteries. The boss asked the person to have a look at VH-TUD. It had a 12 volt battery.

Good luck Remember, you'll have good days, you'll have bad days. It's normal and we've all been there. Until all the chief pilots tell you to FOAD, you're in with a chance.