PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 08:14
Saint Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'forget' and 'parabellum': Yes, fate can be strange, my first Bristow posting to the Far East was in 1971 when the Bristow hotel was indeed the Ocean Park (now very long gone) out in Siglap - a long way from down-town and the Bristow office which was located in the Eastern Agencies building in Alexandra Road. Another company in this building was the newly-started Heli Orient (before they moved out to Seletar).

Bob Dunn was the Area Engineer while Robin Keith was the Area Manager, the office girls were Trudy and Doreen (Leong Wai Hoe and others came along later).

I don't remember an agent Parabellum, but I do remember the freight handler was a company called Singapore Baggage. Perhaps you're reminisces of Clifford Pier are confused with the Cellar Bar (also very long gone) which was a very popular watering hole almost opposite Clifford Pier.

In later years, the Ladyhill Hotel (also long gone) became the Bristow hotel, I remember being able to get a large pool-side room for just S$39. The bar at the Ladyhill then became a popular Bristow watering hole together with the Beefeater (also very long gone) on River Valley Road. I remember one Bristow engineer marrying a receptionist from the Ladyhill.

Then the location of the Bristow office changed may times but I believe there still is one and it's managed by Catherine.