PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 21:08
WojtekSz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.F.L.Y
i have asked if you could propose some better actions to take - and what is your porposed action:
Obviously after the second unsuccessful attempt of thrust increase something else had to be done to save speed. Retracting flaps on the ILS is not increasing/saving speed, on the contrary, maintaining the ILS (which btw leads far beyond the threshold) is actually the only reason that caused the speed to decay.
When the crew detects speed deviation it first acts on the thrust. If this is unsuccessful, there is only one way to save/increase speed: acting on the AOA/flight path. As such, without available thrust, AP disconnection and AOA control is the number one priority, acting on the flaps while the AP keeps increasing the AOA is totally irrelevant. While I understand such a wrong sequence can happen with short reactions delays, I'm really surprised that you can't get it after a couple of days of discussions behind a computer.
sorry but seems that you should rather concentrate on gliding than discussing flying jets or aerodynamics of the wings with flaps.

Looks that You are the only one that does not get it
: so for the last time: flaps enabled LONGER stay in the air (aviate!) - if you look at the diagram from Report you would see that after nose-down command the speed has stayed relatively constant but the flight path (repeat - fligh path NOT the ILS path) decayed - the plane started to fly faster toward the ground. If you would draw the Radio Altimeter line appropriate for this speed (last 6 sec of flight) immediately from the point when the flaps were commanded you would see that the plane would have arrived on the ground some 4secs earlier - with much higher vertical speed and 200 meter earlier. Results would be devastating.

Not that the majority is always right but please make an effort of reading once again last 2 days worth of posts. Then discuss your point with anybody you know who flies big jets. And respond if you would still have anything new to add...