PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 19:42
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suitecaseman, I'll not enter you sarcastic game. We are talking about low speed in a specific configuration. In their situation it was no more a matter of slowing down the speed decay but to immediately stop and reverse it. Reducing flaps on the ILS is not improving a low speed situation, on the contrary.

Do you seriously think the guys at Boeing designed the flap 30 only to induce more drag and burn more fuel on approach? Look at the report and see what happened when the flaps were retracted: the plane went slightly below GP causing even more nose up AP input. The low speed and reduced flap setting immediately triggered the stick-shaker.

If 105 kts is too low with flaps 30, how couldn't it still be too low with less flaps? With a flap 30 config at such speed there is no other way than acting on the AOA to reduce the margin with Vs. Retracting flaps while increasing nose up inputs will only get you closer to Vs and this is why the stick-shaker activated when the flaps reached 25. With 2 pilots in the cockpit you can't tell me that playing with the flaps was the only option they had. If you don't take manual control when you aircraft is about to stall with no thrust then please tell me, when do you think it's time to fly?

In a glider you don't use drag to control speed but slope. Speed is controlled by primary flight controls.