PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't wait for electric/hybrid aircraft.
Old 5th Jan 2010, 15:22
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't wait for electric/hybrid aircraft.

Half of the threads here pertain to safety and high workload related issues connected to the antiquated way modern aircrafts are made and propelled.

Just below is a thread about a C152 engine quitting because of either a rich cut or carb ice, depending on who's answering. Not even injection engines are commonplace even though the offer more security. Cessnas new 162 Skycatcher? Carb - check.

Just imagine if the above aircraft were hybrids. Until the new nanowire batteries get powerful enough in the meantime a hybrid solution with a small turbine APU would recharge a LiPo battery (like they've had and broken all records with in the R/C world for the best part of 20 years now). The battery runs a brushless electrical motor with 90% efficiency compared to the 20% efficiency of the combustion engine. Just imagine all the benefits:

1. No carb ice.
2. No need for complicated constant speed props (as electrical motors have linear power output and no sweet spot).
3. No TBO - only limited by bearing life.
4. No CO poisoning.
5. No shock cooling.
6. No rich cut.
7. No degradation at altitude, no need for turbos etc.
8. Built in Fadec (brushless motors you set a RPM setting and it keeps it through the controller, no matter what).
9. No need to check oil.
10. Much less weight - 15Kw (21hp) R/C brushless weighs less than 2kg. That means that a O-200 replacement would weigh about 10kg. That leaves a lot of weight for a battery..
11. No dirt.
12. No vibrations.
13. No noise.
14. No leaning at altitude.

I want to enjoy flying and the view, not manage a steam driven 100 year old system just looking to screw me up.

I can't friggin' wait.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 5th Jan 2010 at 16:12.