PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 12:55
ChrisT4LFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound advice from Redsnail and 747

Kash,

Heed the advice from Redsnail and 747. If you have enough funds, get some hours on the 206. The Majority of Operators from South of the Equator operate them.

I was in Zambia last year and my mate visited me and went looking for work in Lusaka, Livingstone, Maun and Kasane. He described to a tee what you have also experienced. There were Pilots there sat in the Caff, who had literally been there for months! Luckily, you're are there at a good time, the wet season will be over soon and things will pick up. I think you should definitely broaden your search though, dont just stay in Maun. Head north and see what is happening in Vic Falls, Kasane, Livingstone, Lusaka. If you have an ME IR, try Proflight in Lusaka and ask for Ken, the Chief Pilot, hes a good guy and may be able to help you, they operate BN2 Islanders and Caravans. Sefofane are also good to consider but you will need some 206 time. In both cases, I know of pilots whose Contracts are due to expire by March and they may be looking for replacements.

If you are willing to go further afield and want a grand travelling experience, then get the Tazara Express (Only costs about 250,000 Kwacha, bout 40 quid last I checked) from Kapiri Mposhi to Dar es Salaam. Dar's Domestic terminal was bustling with sightseers when I was there and their tourist season will begin again in mid february. I was due to go there this year, but due to the dreaded cashflow couldn't. I may try again in 2011. Check out Coastal Aviation, Chief Pilot is a guy called Aziz or SafariAIRLink at [email protected]

Some more food for thought for you. Get out there and see some of Beautiful Africa and meet those guys, then if necessary get back to Maun. But don't keep all your eggs in that one small basket.

Let me know how u get on. Very keen to see how it goes

All the Best,

Jesus