PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition to save Hill 60 at Ypres
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 12:01
outhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunnybunny.
My grandfather was transferred into the Australian Light Horse just before the start of the Gallipoli campaign from a British Infantry Battalion the Buffs, he joined then in Egypt directly from France. He discovered the complications of horse riding and how to manage camel riding and carrying his rather bulky machine gun. He went with them to Gallipoli and left with his Australian friends in one of the last transports off the beach. He was ordered to return to his British unit but refused and stayed with his Australian colleagues and went with them to France for the so called final push.
After his death I found a box it contained a Military Medal inscribed from the Australian authorities and the citation. He also kept a diary and the reading was beyond belief. In the box was a letter written in Arabic? The diary indicated that he had taken it off a dead Turkish officer that he and his chaps had killed during a skirmish. Many years later I had a friend translate it. It was from the offices wife indicating how much he was loved and how she was looking forward to his safe return home also saying how his children were looking forward to him returning home. I sent the letter and the oddly Germen Iron cross inscribed to the same officer to the Turkish Embassy in the hope that they could return it to the family.
My grandfather never spoke about the detail of his experiences however would talk fondly about his times with the Australian Light Horse and the men he served with.
Outhouse.