PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First European flight to Switzerland?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 10:02
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barne

I would like to fly somewhere near the alps, without actually doing mountain flying as I havent had any experience of it yet.
May June is a good time, avoid late summer early autumn as you can get some pretty hefty build ups piling up over the Alps which spill out over the Italian lowlands.

There is pretty high ground in a lot of that area so if you are inexperienced its probably more important to be flexable on the week you take and only go when there is a stable high pressure system over the area.
As well as cloud cover look at winds which should be light.

There are many potential destinations but most involve some mountain flying.
Remember the lowest ones tend to be higher than anything we have here in the UK hence the advice re cloud and winds.

It may be well worth getting some mountain flying instruction while over there? I have flown all over the Alps in twins and light jets. One of my favourite runs is into LJLJ in Slovenia.

Stunning scenery, stunning airport but further than your desired hop.
Geneva sits on the lake and running down you come to Chambery, further down is Grenoble and a host of smaller airfields in between.

Having just read that your using a C150 and your experience levels another option would be to fly the west coast of France down to San Sebastian.

This is a low route with loads of alternatives on the way and spectacular coastal scenery. When you get to San Sebastian not the Alps but spectacular mountain scenery and airports around the Pyrenees.
Have fun

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 5th Jan 2010 at 10:33.