PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Argentina
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 08:44
mountain-goat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Troels,

Happy New Year!

Right I'd better put you out of your misery with so many replies coming forward

I'll PM you the name of the instructor I would suggest you call at http://www.hangaruno.com.ar/in_hangaruno.html

It's a 30 odd min easy direct train ride from Retiro (Bs.As) and 5 min taxi ride the other end to Aeropuerto de San Fernando (SADF).

Hiring a PA28 Archer is relatively cheap vs European prices... there are no landing fees at most Argentine airports... and Spanish is really the only RT language applicable except at Ezeiza and possibly J. Newbery (intl. IFR traffic). (You'll need a Twin for J. Newbery - but Ezeiza is accessible if you like moderately big airports...

One recommendation would be to fly to Isla Martin Garcia (easy to find on google maps NNW of Buenos Aires at the converging tributary of the river Plate between Argentina and Uruguay).
It's the equivalent of the Isle of Wight but with vast sub tropical botanical gardens, small villas and settlements... and a great place to eat and fly back. Historically it was where Peron lived and kicked off his dictatorship.

Alternatively, a flight to resort "Carmelo" with its own grass strip intl. airport on the opposing side of the River Plate in Uruguay. It's also the base of the Four seasons beach hotel... and very picturesque.

Finally, you've the Iguazu falls further north if you fancy more of a trek!

Standby until this evening and I'll PM you those details.

Flying in Argentina is a joy... you're never far from a good parrilla (BBQ) and Mendoza wine when you land!

Happy Landings!

MG