PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS imposter rumbled
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 02:08
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Flying the British Tanker on Operation provide Carpets (sorry, that should read Operation Provide Comfort) from Incirlik involved flying a towline over northern Iraq. The flight was very popular with the Americans because they qualified for another medal if they crossed the border. One pilot I flew with got on the PA and said:

"We have now just crossed over the border. Those of you who are in the Aerican forces can have another medal. Those of you in the British forces can have another cup of tea".

One medal which amuses me is the Purple Heart, awarded for being injured in combat. I have one friend who copped an AK47 round through the arm flying a Bird Dog, artillery spotting in vietnam. He flew home with one arm useless. He probably earned his, but I met one American who got his for tripping over a tent rope and breaking his ankle - the base was being shelled at the time. He was particularly embarrassed having to explain the circumstances of it's award!

But it must be very hard to spot an American Walt as they seem to have so may medals that to investigate them all must seem too daunting a task.

As for the award of British medals, the decisions regarding the award of the Kosovo medals was a travesty. One friend got hers as a supplier in Ancona, miles away from the action in Italy. She came back with a magnificent tan having spent most of the war on the beach, whereas people who were flying ''sausage side'' and getting SAMs shot at them weren't entitled to the gong because they hadn't flown the required 12 missions - or whatever the requirement was.