PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Atis and QNH readbacks with a/c type.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 21:47
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dear Gonzo, this is rather in danger of becoming chicken-and-egg.

Originally Posted by Gonzo
That's a moot point, because at LHR we do not give the QNH out at all, either with pushback or taxi.....if you state the correct QNH first time 'round.
It is indeed to your credit at LL that you do not repeat the QNH ad infinitum during our push/start/taxy phase, as others such as fireflybob have to suffer elsewhere. At least you accept that one QNH acknowledgement is sufficient. However, this is not quite the original thread question, which was concerned with why we are asked to acknowledge both the ATIS letter and also to repeat the QNH, which is itself an essential and integral part of the ATIS that we are implicitly acknowledging as having copied and understood. One confirmation of QNH, either explicit or implicit, should suffice.

To a professional, such repetition can be irritating as it is clearly unnecessary R/T clutter; in the same way, I'm sure that you would find it tiresome if we were to be constantly asking you for the QNH during taxy, just in case it had changed. Only in the case where QNH does change from the acknowledged ATIS letter should it need to be mentioned (by you) - and then, of course, it will be read back.

Does that help you to grasp the problem? ... or have I missed the point of your frustration ... ?

JD