PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line training: the debate
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2010, 19:19
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read through this thread, and it seems to be getting a little confusing between paying for a TR and paying for the actual line training.

I think we can all accept that it is pretty certain that most people are now going to have to pay for their first T/R - this has been the norm for a while in one form or another - whether the airline stumped up the cash then bonded you on a reduced salary, or you stump up the cash yourself, either way you are still paying for it. However I would not condone paying for a t/r without a firm job offer at the end.

What I though this thread was about was what happened next, the line training. Totally agree that you should be PAID for this as you are then on revenue generating flights earning the airline $$$$$ therefore you should expect to be re-numerated yourself.

I thought with FR (who seem to be coming in for a lot of flack) that you paid for the t/r, but once line training, you actually got paid for that. I don't see anything wrong with that myself although I'd love to think that we would go back to the days of the airline paying for the t/r, but I doubt we will ever see those days again.

I started my training at 30, when times were amazingly good but due to taking my time and a few bad decisions along the way, I did not finish for another 4 years. That was in December last year just as it was all going wrong. Have I gone and thrown more money at it, to jump over people - NO. I'm sitting and waiting it out, working in my current job until things pick up keeping current as best I can. I've even refrained from applying to FR even though they are the only gig in town at the moment, as I don't agree with the ethics of paying to apply for a job or paying for your own uniform. The industry will pick up, but people really just need to accept that it is in a down turn and just be patient and WAIT.

It is amazing that there are 19-20 something pilots that can only see flying a jet as the be all and end all of flying a flying career. If you are serious about this as a career, then at 20 you will have 45 years flying ahead of you to make a career out of it so go and do something more interesting than sitting looking out of the window and pushing a few buttons every now and then - after a few years of doing that, it will just become another dull job. Do some REAL flying, is it really so urgent to PAY to jump the queue right now ?. Seems these guys in this situation are only doing it for the willy waving opportunities that it will bring bragging to girls down the pub or for their parents to brag about how proud they are of little Johnny down at the golf club.

Then, there is the problem to not to loose face.What my friends& family will say after I have spent all my money for nothing? Waiting or going on these ripp off schemes.
If ANYONE is worried about loosing face, then this is NOT the right career for you - just look into the recent history of many Far Eastern airlines and all the accidents that they have had due to not "loosing face". Who give's a flying fk what your friends think, if they are real friends they will be understanding and supportive as should your family and realise that times are not good at the moment, so it is a matter of sitting and waiting.

Sit and wait guys, sit and wait. Your time will come.