PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in Ireland
Thread: PPL in Ireland
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2010, 18:47
grafity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one seems to consider the flying clubs, they generally have much lower rates. I'm currently half way though my ppl at the moment with Limerick Flying Club (Coonagh). The hourly rate is €130 per tach hour which generally works out ~€90/hr. Instructors are all volunteers and all have vast experience with backgrounds from long haul airlines to harrier jump jets to vastly experienced GA pilots.

There are drawbacks however, there can be less opportunities to fly as mostly it's limited to weekends and summer evenings, but if your committed you'll get it done in reasonable time. Weekends and evenings may suit anyway if working full time.
There's also usually a annual membership fee and sometimes a joining fee. In the case of Coonagh it's €350/year but no joining fee.

One other advantage of the club is that you get to know all the private pilots and you often get asked to join them for the spin which is great for some free experience . I've taken up some offers and have been to Spanish Point, Birr and a few other local flights. I'll pay it back when I get my license . Another point is that when you qualify you've generally easy access to aircraft with low rates, which in the case of Coonagh are generally freely available mid week and there's normally at least one around the weekend(€120 tach for ppls).

Regards,
Grafity