PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian bomber patrols
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2010, 16:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Geezers of Nazareth
So where are all 'our' pictures?

Any 'ex-Q' pilots on here? When you come back from a successful 'Q' launch, is there a man waiting to collect the cameras from you? Do you ever get to see the results of your camera-work?

Going back to 'ancient' intercepts and the possibility of old photos ... is it really that secret (nowadays) that on a particular day in the 60s you took photos of various Soviet aircraft which are all now museum-pieces?
The pictures will be in the archives.

Yes, there was a man there to collect the film.

Yes, you do see the results to both support your debrief narrative and to learn from any mistakes you may have made. - You try using an SLR while wearing gloves and an oxygen mask and helmet.

After one particular mission we had a stack of photos of a May. This was unusually as they rarely ventured as far as on that mission but the Bear Foxtrots were grounded and the May sent instead. I suspect the May mission was counter-SSN. Anyway I created a mozaic photo of the May - it was 6 feet long on the office wall.

If you frame an FOI request then they will do their best to meet your request.

"May I have a large print - 8 x 10 - of a Bear Foxtrot in colour please?"

"Sorry but we have scoured the archives and . . . "

In reality I got a "no" to one of my requests. I repeated the question and suggested where they might look. This time I got something back although not exactly what I wanted.