PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 4th Jan 2010, 13:05
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how about if BA issue the 90 day contract termination notice, and then immediately offer existing CC that are not BASSA members, and those that do not want to strike and are willing to accept what has been imposed, a new contract that matches what they are being asked to do now?
I'm no expert in employment law Desertia, but I'm reasonably confident that such a thing would be illegal. First they would have to close down BA and that would not make the share-holders very happy.

There has been lots of mentions of this '90 days notice to terminate contracts' but it can only be done under the auspices of redundancy which then prevents further recruitment into those roles for two years I believe. Legislation designed to protect the workforce from unscrupulous employers. Having worked for GF in the past, I know you don't have the same protection in the Gulf.

Then there is the Airside pass, it takes quite some time to get the necessary clearance from the Criminal Records Check co. (often up to 3 months) and passes are not transferable between companies. Additionally, new crew are trained for 5 weeks before flying by existing crew so we'd need to keep some trainers. The SCCM's must have a years flying experience before they can be considered 'in-charge' so we'd need to keep enough of them as well. A mass replacement of crew therefore is not an option. The only way to resolve this is for both sides to start and keep talking until they reach an agreement. There's NO QUICK FIX.

All views my own as always!