PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 4th Jan 2010, 12:15
FlyingCroc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ME Airlines

Guys, just read all the messages about QR, EY, EK then you will see what it is like. I work here for many years, and what you read here is mostly true. Of course some guys are frustrated because of fleet or upgrades. But face it, it is just a job, take it or leave it. Make some money and get out. Nobody cares about you here, and nobody would be here if it was not for the good pay (although it could be better) and the oppurtunity to fly a big jet.
1) Rosters, as pointed out above, they change monthly, can be good on one fleet, bad on another. You have 10days off, the rest is pure luck.
2) No commuting possible in all airlines.
3) Upgrades: expect min. 5-7 years, there will always be DEC available worldwide to fly the shiney jets. DO not believe that airplanes will be parked on ground, never ever happened so far and I don't think it ever will. There are enough pilots worldwide to fill the slots. And they will not care if you resign if you don't get your upgrade. Join, work, make money and wait for your time, unless you find a better job in the meantime.
The other thing which I think is even more important: can you live in an arabic, islamic country, can your family stand it? Read up on Dubai, Doha, Abu Dhabi, not just on pprune but also from other perspectives. Life is completly different from Europe or the Americas. You will spend a considerable amount of your life here, especially your family while you enjoy a break in New York, Shanghai or Bangkok.