PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA unrealistic fees?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2010, 10:25
al446

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRSS

At the risk of feeding the troll -

Stop trying to weasel out of previous statements.

for the princely sum of £11 per month, I get on the spot advice at the end of a phone 24/7 and guaranteed legal costs paid. Who needs a fair weather friend?
No conditions attached there.

However, if the advice of the lawyer is that the case is a lost cause the union will withdraw support. As would your insurer.

Sorry mate, not the case: the insurer will pay the legal fees. Anyone who pressed on regardless, in the face of overwhelming advice, would be off their trolley.
So you are agreeing that in both cases, union and insurer, legals paid so far. You then go on to distort things, as I have known you do in the past.

As a member of BALPA, however,the choice falls to them, not you, and it could be that your perfectly reasonable and winnable case is traded for a sanction, accommodation or benefit they have been seeking from your employer for some time. The chance of trading you, and your case against the employer, for the "good" of the masses prejudices your right to assisted legal advice.
Wrong. I know of no union that retains in-house litigation lawyers, not even mine, Unison, one of the largest in the UK. We pay a retainer to Thompson's and refer on a case by case basis. From then on it is the lawyers decision, in conjunction with member, as to whether to proceed or not, not the union's. At no point do the union even suggest "trading" anything. That is wilful conjecture and if you were making that statement against me, after giving you the chance to withdraw it I would be straight down to Thompsons to sue the sh1t out of you.

However, we don't have to dwell on this as you don't need legal assistance as your employer, and your union, well Barden's at least, deal with matters before it has to resort to the law.
A very sensible route to take, most sensible individuals and organisations wish to avoid the cost, time and hassle of going to law, we are not in the business of keeping the courts full.

Earlier in the thread Herod posted

As I said on another thread, I needed BALPA twice in my career. Both times they pulled the rabbit out of the hat. Sub money well spent.
And your reply?

Herod, I'm delighted that you were assisted.

Now would you tell us who you worked for, which seat you flew from, what the problems were, how they helped you and when this happened?
Condescending or what?

Then in your last post

How many cases have you heard of where BALPA have declined to assist, or offered only some assistance, but the individual has gone on to win? I know of a couple and I know of one guy who gave up, even though BALPA were involved, because the advice and assistance was so difficult to get in anything approaching a timely manner.
Supporting evidence please. In an anonymous post you can make any claim you wish, it doesn't mean it is true. Even if partially true, it is well known that many patients suffer to some degree from MRSA when in hospital, does that mean the guy with a child in ICU should take him home? Don't think so. An A320 flew into a field outside Schiphol so never fly Airbus? TRSS makes bum argument so never believe him? Now that one I may go for.

I didn't read the rest of your post, eyes were drooping. Boredom does that.