PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good and Bad Habits during Flying Training
Old 4th Jan 2010, 09:45
ConfigFull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all students out there - stop watching yourself flying!! I don't care that the aircraft shadow always seems to sit perfectly in view outside of the left window - fly the aircraft!

Back to a more normal note, I really only notice this on very young students.

My favourite good habit is properly maintaining altitude, none of this near enough is good enough stuff. Just because CASA says you can descend +-50/100/150ft (depending on level) doesn't mean it's right or accurate.

Trim, trim, trim, trim, trim. If you do it properly throughout all stages of flight, the aircraft will fly itself and you have one less thing to worry about. Very pertinent as you come into land and also during diversions.

If there's a GPS, use it effectively or not at all. Have everything set up on the ground for the leg there and also the return. Don't be surprised if this "fails" early on in the flight though!

Finally, have your radio calls sorted for all airspace. This will make things just a little bit easier when you're under pressure and just like trimming properly it's one less thing to think about.

That was more of a rant than help but hope everything goes well!