PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Atis and QNH readbacks with a/c type.
Old 4th Jan 2010, 08:30
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niknak

Not so Jumbo, I've been an ATCO for 21 years and QNH readback has been mandatory for that at least that period, perhaps not enforced at some units; but none the less mandatory, for very very obvious reasons
niknak, it is a matter of historical fact that the QNH readback has not always been required when acknowledging ATIS receipt. Exactly when it became a requirement has not been established in this discussion - I still maintain it has not been that long - however I freely admit that my memory encompasses a span much longer than your tender experience of just 21 years ATCO-ing ... just about double that, in fact!

Anyway, let us not quibble about when it happened, the fact is that some while ago it became a requirement when previously it had not been so. Of course I will oblige with a readback if it is requested or required and certainly would not indulge in verbal antics with a GND controller to make a point. However, for the reasons I have already given, I still maintain it represents unnecessary time-wasting double-speak.

One last thought, I think you are wrong in your description of QNH readback when acknowledging ATIS as "mandatory" ... I think you will find (at least in UK) that it is actually only a local requirement.

JD

Last edited by Jumbo Driver; 4th Jan 2010 at 08:47. Reason: a last thought ...