PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - les Francais sont-ils moins bons que les autres ?
Old 4th Jan 2010, 07:09
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
@ Bidalot :
@ ATC
But one of the basic question remains....why do French guys always take their own ways. Do not get me wrong, how comes that trafic control at CDG is still in French ? And this even after an apron accident years ago ???
:

ATC all in English over France ? A very valid question. If I had been in charge I would have used the CDG accident report to enforce this to AF ( which was the main opposition to this measure )from the regulator point . And there you raise one of the real flaw of the French system: the "symbiosis" between its regulator, its service provider, its investigation bureau , its main " national" airline, and even its main aircraft manufacturer . All are under the State control, and most of their respective leaders comes from the same school of thought. This " symbiosis" as it is often refered to, has many advantages in most cases , but has perverse effects , especially when it comes down to safety. As when one of the players has a real problem, the other have a tendency to "help" wipe it under the carpet. The early dealings with AF 447 are good recent examples .

A bit more info regarding CDG accident, (it was on the runway, not the apron ) and the move to have english only on the R/T in CDG right after the accident: it was the AF main pilot union which raised a huge opposition campain, put pressure on AF management and finally the decision to lift the measure was taken " on account of safety " as many of the integrated Air Inter pilots had still real difficulties to speak English. So it was the pilots who killed the initiative, not the controllers. Most of the controllers in CDG at the time were quite young and supported the change.