PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic Service Outside CAS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 21:00
Brian81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: the above

I think they may have meant that traffic to aircraft on the DS or TS was given as such "traffic, 12o'clock 5 miles, opposite direction blah blah blah"

And traffic to the other on the basic service "traffic is a PA28 routing A to B, VFR at 2000ft estimating point X at time 12"

I think that's what was meant?

And in response to HD; It's insinuated in the MATS 1 and in the ATSOCAS document and in our unit guide that under no circumstances are we to cloud the pilots' understanding of the specific service being provided by giving confusing and 'contradictory advice/instructions' above and beyond what they are entitled to.

eg; if you're on a basic service, you're not entitled to get any traffic information, but you may get some, if controller feels the need.

The thinking being (I think) is that if a pilot hears a constant barrage of traffic information on a basic service, they'll ask for that service at other units where the traffic info won't be so forthcoming or available.

I don't agree with the rules / procedures / implementation process / continued pilot education. I just have to read the documents, do what I'm told and try not to ruin people's day.

I'm not planning on being the board of enquiry guinea pig either.