PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kit build P51 mustang
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 20:10
MasterGreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an outfit called Rotaryae who have / had some very promising rotary aircraft engines for the experimental / LSA market, but there are not open for business just now. I had been talking to them for some time, but the latest I got back was they had lost a lot of backing after the $meltdown. They are using licenced Mazda tip seals and and a total loss oil system.

That oil system was a major sticking point with the 'greenies' apparently but over a 50 hour cycle the oil use was less than half if you consider having to dump the old oil on change etc. Also no filter or cooler required. I thought that rather neat. Add to that a 3000 TBO and a 4 man hour strip down / rebuild and you have a promising engine...

A pity since they could deliver 125HP normally aspirated twin rotor units for the same weight as a Rotax 912 (inc PSRU) for half the price. Or a Turbo version for a little more weight and a good deal more poke. Very nice specs - I can only hope they get going again. The web site no longer has the blurb, but I do have a copy and here it is as of 6-9 months ago :

MG