PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line training: the debate
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 19:31
PPRuNeUser0165

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low houred cadets!

The Beak, can I ask you a question without you having a go? I have always been honest, and you know the situation I am in from previous encounters on a different thread.
Its just about the Pros and Cons argument you put forward, well mainly about the Cons as the Pros although quite true, are just a handfull of the actuall Pros.
You say that anyone doing a SSTR will be hated by anyone who is a commercial pilot? What about those that are doing the SSTR? Also the others out there that believe its the best of a raw deal? (although obviously on here thats a minority!) I did alot of digging and asking of questions to fellow commercial pilots who currently fly in the industry and ALL said for me to do it and not throw the option away as it was decent to be offered a place as many are not!
We will eventually become uncurrent?? Any evidence?? No offence but any Ryanair pilot out there that you know of that has been layed off?? I dont??
Your net worth to future employers remark is something that has actually worried me the beak. I do worry sometimes especially with the comments being expressed that maybe in the future a fellow employer may ask why I decided on that route. The answer is I will tell them? The truth, I researched, I had the money, I passed the assessment, I gained valuable experience whilst keeping current.
I will probably kill my self?? Well I am affraid I do not agree with that my friend. What is the difference between me and others now walking into my TR, passing it and base check and walking out onto the line to fly Bob and Brenda to Malaga (in march) and those that were lucky enough to walk straight into a job after the same amount of hours as I have as a low houred pilot just four years ago when times were GOOD, going through the same TR, passing it and base training and flying Nigel and Nigela to Rome?? There isnt really! They have the same experience as me as a low houred pilot, they have done the same course, the only difference is they didn't have to pay for their TR as I have had to..... Aren't they the lucky ones!! How does the fact that I payed for my TR make me a pilot that is prone to kill myself??
I have my own ideas about waiting a few MORE years for the times to change (chears Mr Bob Dylan), and they are, what is stopping airlines in the future making everyone pay for their TR's?? Don't get me wrong, I know what I am doing is just adding to the problem, but I wasn't the first to start this and so maybe the finger should be pointed at the guys who initially started paying for their TR's??
You talk about the option as a SSTR as being a short term thing... 5 years would taking a very average 700 hours at RYR, 3500 hours on type possibly half to a year of that, 350-700 in command, thats not really a bad thing to have now is it??
I hope that in the future its not like this, and I also hope that you The Beak get flying again and regain the passion you no doubt once had.
All the best in the new year, and safe flying!