PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 18:38
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, OSF, for reminding a long-retired flyer (multi-engine 1948) of the half-forgotten sacrifices and commitments needed to reach the port side seat.

The responsibilities were onerous enough in my day - it takes an unusually special person to effectively command in today's climate. I remember becoming somewhat tongue-tied with nervousness as I greeted the 15 or so passengers with what I hoped was a cheery "Good morning, everyone" as I ascended the aisle to the Lodestar cockpit and hoping that a mag drop would not spoil everyone's day. Weather and engines were pretty well all we had to worry about. There's no way I could ever cut it now, even if I was 25 again.

Sadly, being a PAX in the security-driven paranoia attendant upon current air travel also requires unusual facets of character but that's something different.

Others should consider your comments and reflect before rushing into print with the control locks in - like wot I have done . . .